Muskogee Golf Club was founded on March 10, 1903, as the Muskogee Town and Country Club. Fifty-three men including, Tams Bixby, Sr., Clifford L. Jackson, J. F. Darby and D. H. Middleton started the club making Bixby the first president, and starting with a $100.00 initiation fee.
At first, the Club was located on the outskirts of Fort Gibson where it occupied two buildings. One was a fourteen room house on Coppinger Avenue named The Red House where meals were served and lodging was available at twenty-five cents a day. The other was a stone building on Fort Street called the Assembly Room which was used for social activities. This building, incidentally, was the adjutant’s headquarters when Fort Gibson was an army post.
There was no golf course in the beginning, but people were human then as now and, as some would say, “couldn’t leave well enough alone.” What we mean is that as soon as they could, which was in the summer of 1907, the membership bought the hundred acre Garland farm, house and all, located where the Club is now. So golf came to Muskogee only nineteen years after it first came to America, and ours is the oldest course in the state still at its original site. Leslie Brownlee, a Scotch golf professional at Fort Smith, laid out the nine-hole course with sand greens. Shortly afterwards he went home to Scotland and brought back with him a young golfer named Bill Nichols of Edinburgh. Bill took over as the Club’s first pro in the spring of 1908, and by May of that year had the course completed and open for play.
Thirty acres more were acquired by the Club two years later, and in 1911, the golf course was enlarged to a full eighteen holes. Then in 1924, the late Perry Maxwell redesigned the course, replacing the sand greens with Bermuda. The changeover to bent grass greens wasn’t until 1936.
Since 1936, Muskogee Golf Club has been one of the premier places to play in Eastern Oklahoma. A traditional course, it is lined with mature trees, undulating fairways, and challenging bent grass greens. You will be able to test your skills with our narrow fairways, multiple water hazards and carefully placed sand bunkers. The course record, set by Bob Dickson, a Muskogee amateur and Oklahoma State University star is 59. Marlene Hagge holds the course record for women shooting a 68. The Club was the site of the 1970 Women’s US Open, won by Donna Caponi and has played host to the All Pro Tour since 2018.
In 2015, the Club House was renovated making room for Mawell’s and a wonderful event conference area. Great detail was taken to refurbish and update the Men’s and Women’s locker rooms along with the Pro Shop and fantastic back patio complete with fire pit.